The policy towards Internet access is the same as other print and electronic resources. The Library adheres to the ALA Bill of Rights. As with other library materials, restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian. However, the library reserves the right to require that children under the age of 12 obtain written permission from their parent or legal guardian in order to use the Internet on their own.
Legal and Ethical Use:
Our computing resources may only be used for legal purposes by the public and staff. Examples of unacceptable use include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Viewing images or text that are disruptive to others, inappropriate in a public setting or constitute potential sources of sexual harassment to patrons and library staff;
- Harassment of other users;
- Destruction of or damage to equipment software or data;
- Disruption or unauthorized monitoring of electronic communications;
- Unauthorized copying of copyright-protected material;
- Violation of computer system security;
- Unauthorized use of computer accounts, access codes, or network identification codes/numbers assigned to others;
- Use of computer communications facilities in ways that unnecessarily impede the computing activities of others;
- Violation of software license agreements;
- Violation of network usage policies;
- Violation of another’s privacy.
Library staff cannot control the availability of information links which often change rapidly and unpredictably. Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information. Users need to be good information consumers, questioning the validity of information. The library is not responsible for the information accessed via the Internet. The library will provide offsite access to our homepage and catalog for those with Internet access. The homepage provides basic information about this library as well as connections to specific Internet resources.
This agreement indicates your responsibility for your use of Library equipment and software, and your agreement to abide by the Library’s Internet Access Policy as stated above.